Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Day for Opening Day

Opening Day is here! Real, live, meaningful baseball is once again in the air. To commemorate the day I’ve got a pack of 2011 Topps Opening Day for you. This is actually the first pack of Opening Day I bought a few weeks ago. Turns out it’s the perfect pack for the first day of the season due to the 2 inserts I got. The Swinging Friar and the Padres… Versus Prince Albert and the Cardinals.
Not only is today’s matchup a perfect pairing of baseball card inserts, it’s also significant in my own personal baseball upbringing. As many of you know, I am a Texas Rangers fan first and foremost. I’ve now lived in the DFW area for 23 of my 41 years, so the conversion is complete. For all practical purposes, I’m a Texan. I’ve been to many games at the Ballpark in Arlington and even Arlington Stadium before that. But guess where I saw my first MLB game ever. You guessed it (or maybe you didn’t.), Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego. I was born in San Diego and lived there until I was 6 when we moved to Illinois. We lived there until I started high school and guess where we went when we had that craving for a little MLB action. That’s right, Busch Stadium in St. Louis. So I’ve definitely got a soft spot for both the Padres and Cardinals, but the Rangers is where my true loyalties lie. Let’s hope this season is as good or even better than the last one.


Oh, and here’s the rest of the pack in case you were wondering. Though you probably weren’t. Later.

1 comment: