Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Only Lions Card I Ever Loved

All the recent talk of Upper Deck losing its MLB license, but retaining an MLBPA license got me to thinking about one of my favorite football cards of all things. Some are speculating that UD will produce MLB cards with all logos airbrushed off. Well, that would be just like Topps football when I was a kid. And this here
is one of my favorite cards ever. Not that I knew anything about Greg Landry. This card is all about the mud and action, with Greg standing on one leg and fallen teammates wallowing around in the mud, it is just awesome! The crazy thing is, his helmet is so clean! So clean in fact the Lions logo has been scrubbed off! Then you've got Greg's name itself. Landry, one U short of Laundry, which I'm sure there was a lot of after this game. Top it all off with a pink, woosie border (somehow appropriate for the Lions, the Cowboys had GOLD that year) and you've got one of the most perfect cards of all time. Of a player I cared nothing about, but man I loved this card. (In fact I had lost mine, so I just bought a new one a few weeks ago!) Later.

3 comments:

  1. That is definitely an awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the world of collecting! Always good to get a new outlook to the hobby.I've been collecting with my two sons,Josh-24 and Andy 21, for 15-16 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Greg's whole left side got ground into the mud the play before. I still have my football cards from the early 70's and the missing helmet logos have always bugged me.

    ReplyDelete